Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Ajahn Brahm's Inspiring Talk

I went to Ajahn Brahm’s talk yesterday! It was so insightful, so inspiring, so everything!! Honestly, to be able to see him physically in front of me, really makes a difference. Before this, it is only through videos and books that I knew him. To be able to sit in the audience and listen to what he has to say, is just different… definitely one of the best experience in my Dhamma learning =) hehe~ *still excited* it is more exciting than meeting Bratt Pitt.. hahaha~ =p

His talk yesterday was titled “When Bad things happen to Good people”. He shared the story “Who ordered this truckload of dung?” I suppose most of us knew the story, but how often do we remember the story and practice it in our daily life?

He shared: One day, you see a truckload of dung outside your gate. You didn’t order it for sure.. There is only 2 choice:
1) You carry the dung in your pocket, your shirt, in your bag…… and bring them everywhere, outcome : you lost friends and people around you
2) You dig it in, and move the pile of dung into your garden… slow and steady… , outcome : You get a wonderful garden with mangos, flowers……and you can give to many friends.. and the sweetest mango, you can give it to your favourite monk (that’s what he said!)

He said that in daily life, there are bound to be challenges, sufferings, problems.. You didn’t order those, but when they are there, you can either bring the problems around, bring your negativity everywhere, and slowly lost all your friends.. Or you can start digging into the problems, and find the solutions.. be patient and solve the problems. When your problems are solved, you will have a heart full of flowers, a heartful of compassion and wisdom..

Recently, I have been complaining about my work, how boring it can be, how lonely, how people took advantage of me as a junior, how bla bla bla.. and just at the very right time, his talk woke me up.. it was me that make my job seems bad.. my job isn’t bad.. it was me who thought that everyone is taking advantage of me.. maybe they are not.. it was all my thoughts, negativity.. I ordered that truckload of dung myself, and I carried the dung around me everywhere.. Even if that truckload of dung wasn’t ordered by me, I seem to have brought them around me everywhere.. I gotta change that.. I must make my own garden! I must take the truckload of dung, and turn all of them into sweet juicy mangos and colourful flowers.. and my experiences will bring me a step further, and I will be able to grow better flowers and create a better garden!

I re-word what has Ajahn said.. obsviously, I couldn’t remember every single sentence. But his meaning is there. Just to share with everyone of you. Even though we knew the theory, but it is hard to practice it. Dhamma talks are good reminder for me, to practice every now and then. Have a nice day everyone! Enjoy digging into the pile of dung you have now! It will soon be a heartful of beautiful garden!

1 comment:

Xiang Yuan said...

Glad that you enjoyed the talk! Have a great holiday ahead!